1. Assemble these ingredients:
• Four russet potatoes
• Olive or vegetable oil
• Salt (optional)
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Scrub potatoes with a brush to remove any dirt, and rinse in a colander under cold water.
4. Pierce the potatoes with a fork or a skewer in 5 to 10 places to allow steam to escape while baking.
5. Rub the potato with oil to produce a softer skin. Roll in salt if desired.
6. Place potatoes on middle oven rack and bake for one hour. If you are baking more than four potatoes, increase baking time by 15 minutes.
7. Test the potatoes for doneness by squeezing in the middle. Be sure to wear an oven mitt. When skin is puffed and golden and the potato gives easily under pressure, you will know it is done.
8. Let cool 5 to 10 minutes. Use a fork to stab a line half-way around the potato. Squeeze at both ends of the line and the potato will pop open.
9. Top with your favorite toppings. Possibilities include sour cream, cream cheese and chives, chili, chicken salad, bacon and pineapple and baked beans. Don’t be afraid to experiment.
1. If you are baking potatoes along with other dishes requiring different baking temperatures, use this guide for potato baking time:
2. Bake for 45 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Bake for 90 minutes at 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Remember to increase baking time by 15 minutes for more than four potatoes.
1. How do you bake a potato?
Image Credit: Muy Yum