|Preparing Ground Turkey|
More and more people are looking to ground turkey as an alternative to ground beef. Some want to reduce red-meat intake while others are looking for a source of lean protein. One four-ounce serving of turkey provides more than half the recommended daily protein requirement. Be aware, however, that not all ground turkey provides the same health benefits. If the label on your purchase reads “ground turkey,” it is probably a combination of white and dark meat and skin. This type of ground turkey shows no nutritional advantage over ground beef and actually contains more fat than lean and extra lean ground beef. If you are concerned about fat intake, look for a package labeled “ground turkey breast.” This type of turkey has half the calories and about one-third of the fat of regular ground turkey. Try your hand at grilling some tasty low-fat turkey burgers with the following recipe.
Assemble these ingredients:
• One pound ground turkey breast
• ¼ cup seasoned bread crumbs
• ¼ cup finely chopped onion
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
• 1 ½ tablespoons steak sauce
• 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
• Four hamburger buns
• Tomato slices and lettuce leaves
1. Combine first six ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Divide the combined mixture into four patties of equal size.
3. Coat your grill rack with cooking spray and heat your grill as usual.
4. Grill patties for six or seven minutes on each side until they are browned and heated through.
5. Serve with lettuce, tomatoes and condiments.
1. Try chopped cilantro and hot peppers in your turkey burgers to provide extra spiciness.
2. Use plastic gloves to prevent the sticky turkey mixture from clinging to your hands.
3. Handle turkey burgers with care since they are more delicate than their beef counterparts.
1. How do you prepare ground turkey?
Image Credit: entropy