|Sweet Potato Pie Recipe|
They're also delicious baked into flavorful, sweet pie filling poured into a golden, flaky crust.
Try your hand at this holiday pie, and fill the house with the tempting aromas of old-fashioned comfort food.
Sweet potatoes are full of beta-carotene and complex carbohydrates, and they provide substantial amounts of manganese, potassium and vitamin C.
Similar in taste and texture to pumpkin, sweet potatoes contain more natural sugar and make a denser pie filling.
What you will need:
• 1 pound of sweet potato
• ½ cup granulated sugar
• ½ cup brown sugar
• ½ cup butter, softened
• ½ cup evaporated milk
• 2 eggs
• ½ teaspoon cinnamon
• ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 2 teaspoons lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 1 9-inch pie crust, unbaked
1. Boil sweet potato in skin for 40 – 50 minutes.
2. Hold the sweet potato under cold, running water before removing the skin.
3. Break sweet potato into pieces in a large bowl. Add butter, and beat with mixer.
4. Stir in sugar, evaporated milk, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Beat until sweet potato mixture is smooth.
5. Pour sweet potato filling into pie crust.
6. Bake at 350 degrees F for 55 – 60 minutes, or until a knife blade placed in the pie comes out clean.
7. Take from oven and cool.
1. Use pie crust shields to prevent crust from over-browning.
Image Credit: Paul Goyette
Written By: Shannon R