|Fillet a Fish|
You will need:
• Sharp knife with a flexible, thin blade, preferably a fillet knife
• Cutting board
1. Place the fish on the cutting board with the head facing you.
2. Make a cut behind the gills, slicing halfway through the body of the fish.
3. Insert the fillet knife into the cut, and make a slice a couple of inches deep above the backbone and over the top fins.
4. Remove the meat from the bones with the tip of the fillet blade. Open the fish up like a book, uncovering the breastbone.
5. Once you have completely opened the fish, complete the cutting-away process by slicing through remaining attached skin.
6. Prepare to remove skin by placing fillet skin-side down on cutting board. Position the knife at the tail end, between flesh and skin. Hold the skin firmly as you slice slowly down the length of the fillet.
- Wear latex gloves to keep fish smells from your hands.
- Use a sharp, good quality knife for the best results.
Written By: Shannon R