|How to get rid of fleas|
1. Take your pet to the veterinarian for flea treatment. If possible, leave your pet there for a couple of days while you rid your home of the pests.
2. Collect all bedding, throws, soft dog toys and rugs, and wash them in hot, soapy water to remove eggs and larvae.
3. Vacuum carpets, upholstery and bare floors, paying special attention to corners. Concentrate on areas where your pet spends a lot of time.
4. Seal the vacuum cleaner bag in a plastic bag, and dispose of it in an outside trash container.
5. Call in a professional pest-control service to take care of fleas, eggs and larvae left behind in the carpet after vacuuming. If you prefer to treat the carpet yourself, shampoo with an insecticidal carpet product.
6. Turn your attention to the exterior of the house, and apply flea-control products designed to treat the yard. You might want to hire a pest-control service because treating the outside environment is vital to preventing reinfestation of the house itself.
7. Continue to treat your pet with flea-prevention products as prescribed by your veterinarian.
- Buy bedding for your pet that is easy to remove and clean.
- Consult your veterinarian before treating your pet with any flea-removal products. Some pets are sensitive to these products and can become sick or die from exposure.
- Products prescribed by your veterinarian are safer and work more quickly than over-the-counter treatments.
Written By: Shannon R