Read on to learn how to make this tempting pastry.
You will need:
• 1 pound chopped walnuts
• 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
• 1 16-ounce package phyllo dough
• 1 cup butter, melted
• 1 cup granulated sugar
• 1 cup water
• 3/4 cup honey
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 1 teaspoon lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Grease a 9-x-13- inch dish.
3. Mix together walnuts, cinnamon and cloves.
4. Unroll phyllo dough, and slice stack in half so that it fits the dish.
5. Keep dough covered with a damp cloth to prevent drying. .
6. Cover bottom of the prepared dish with two layers of phyllo dough.
7. Brush layers with butter. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of the nut-spice mixture over the top layer.
8. Repeat layers until you have used all ingredients, and you are left with five or six sheets of phyllo dough.
9. Cut unbaked baklava into 36 to 40 diamond-shaped pieces with a sharp knife.
10. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until baklava is golden-brown.
11. Mix water and sugar over medium heat in a small pan while the baklava bakes.
12. Bring mixture to a boil, and stir in vanilla, honey and lemon zest. Simmer mixture for 20 minutes.
13. Spoon sugar mixture over hot baklava.
14. Cool before serving.
- Store baklava uncovered to retain crispness.
Written By: Shannon R