You will need:
• 1/3 cup water
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• ¾ cup brown sugar
• ¾ cup granulated sugar
• 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
• 1 pinch salt
1. Simmer the water, butter and brown and granulated sugars in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
2. Allow the sugar to completely dissolve in the water before stirring the mixture.
3. Cook until the caramel has turned golden-brown, stirring occasionally. This should take 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Slowly and carefully pour the cream into the caramel, stirring continually. The caramel will come to a vigorous boil and begin to solidify.
5. Add vanilla and salt.
6. Stir constantly over low heat until the caramel reaches a creamy, smooth consistency, about 5 to 10 minutes.
7. Cool at least 30 minutes.
- Wear oven mitts to protect your hands.
- Use a large pot because the mixture will boil up when you add the cream. A Dutch oven works well.
- Because thin cookware does not heat evenly, use a heavy-gauge metal pot for making caramel sauce.
Written By: Shannon R