|Homemade Yogurt Recipe|
Follow a few easy steps to make your own delicious, healthy yogurt.
You will need:
• ½ gallon milk
• ½ cup of yogurt containing live active cultures
• Crock pot
1. Set the temperature control of the crock pot on low, and add ½ gallon of milk.
2. Leave at the low setting for 2 ½ hours.
3. Turn off the crock pot, unplugging it at this time. Leave the milk to cool in the pot for 3 hours. Leave the lid on.
4. Once 3 hours have elapsed, remove 1 cup of the warmed milk and pour into a bowl. The milk should be warmer than room temperature but not hot enough to kill the yogurt cultures. If you are not sure of the temperature, use a thermometer. Milk should register about 80 F.
5. Add ½ cup yogurt to the warm milk, and combine thoroughly.
6. Add the milk-yogurt mixture to the milk in the crock pot, and mix well.
7. Replace the crock pot lid, and wrap the crock pot in a towel.
8. Leave the mixture to culture, about 8 to 12 hours.
9. Stir yogurt, and store in containers.
10. Refrigerate 8 to 10 hours before serving.
- Look for organic milk on sale to produce your own inexpensive organic yogurt.
- For flavor, add fruit and honey just before serving.
Written By: Shannon R